"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

— Marjorie Pay Hinckley


"None of us come to this earth to gain our worth; we brought it with us."

--Sheri L. Dew

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Some Pics

This is my new years resolution. I decided to start oil painting. I absolutely love oil paintings that I see and I have some ideas for paintings and want to do it. Anyway, here are my first attempts at oil painting. The blue is supposed to be a sky with clouds but apparently you have to let the first layer dry first? So I just have light blue streaks! If you know anything about oil painting PLEASE leave a comment or a hint or instructions or anything! The white on the apple is a sticker. Stay tuned for next Sunday, I will post more paintings.

This is a picture Grace made me take of her friend Weedie. I'll let you figure it out!




Grace loves her babies!! I did not set these up!



Look closely. Closer. Yes, his toes are in his face. We've been working on his naps, him putting himself to sleep and I guess he sits and then falls asleep like this!

6 comments:

Marilou said...

I don't get the "weedie" friend...but so cute on her setting up her dolls, and sleeping with them.

The Wheelers said...

We sure do miss our morning walks with you all, we should get together for a play date sometime. Grace is so darling and Thaddeus has grown so much!

Cathy Brooksby said...

It amazes me how flexible kids are.

Mae said...

I took a class before the mission! to keep me occupied before the mtc. I love it, but i'm scared to try it without an instructor! You've inspired me, though. the things i learned in the class...
1. choose a base color and paint the whole canvas, probably the color that is most prevalent in the pics.
2. paint your horizon line, then sketch the rest of the painting.
3. start painting in layers, think of what the darkest color in the object is and start with that.
4. you are supposed to let every layer dry for a couple days...but i've seen some pros do a whole painting in one sitting. i guess it depends how much blending you want to do. Good Luck! i'm excited to see what you create!

Carrie said...

Imaginary friend? :)
I love TD's toes in his face, that is amazing! Hehe.

Sheena said...

Cute that Thaddeus falls asleep like that. He is getting big. Good job on the oil painting. I think that is a fabulous New Year's resolution.