"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

— Marjorie Pay Hinckley


"None of us come to this earth to gain our worth; we brought it with us."

--Sheri L. Dew

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cookies

I made my favorite no-bake cookies a couple days ago, but I used old fashioned oats instead of quick oats.  Now, I am a fan of using healthy things, we eat old fashioned oats in our oatmeal, but when it comes to no-bake cookies, I have learned, why make them if you have to use old fashioned oats?  So, they turned out pretty gross and I ate about 4-5 over the course of a couple days, which is unusually low for me. 

Today I decided to redeem myself and use the quick oats instead.  They turned out considerably better and I may or may not have already eaten 4-5 in the last 1 1/5 hours.  Grace saw me eating my last one and asked if she could have another one and I said "no".  She immediately started the "not fair" routine, followed by the "why do you get another if I don't" routine and I told her, "Because I have borne almost 4 children, when you are a mother you can eat 100 cookies if you want"  Then I got to thinking, how many meals have I cooked, how many loads of laundry have I washed, dried and put away-- sometimes twice thanks to small helping hands, how many toilets have I cleaned, how many floors have I swept and vacuumed, how many beds have I made, how many diapers have I changed, how many baths have I run, how many books have I read--over and over?  After thinking all that, I thought, "I deserve another cookie!" 

:)


No comments: