"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

— Marjorie Pay Hinckley


"None of us come to this earth to gain our worth; we brought it with us."

--Sheri L. Dew

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Our Newest Toy, well, Grace's

Well, we don't have a 4th of July update like everyone else because we forgot our camera. The one exciting thing that happened that weekend was Grant finding wood at my parents and making a sand box for Grace! It fits on our balcony and is really just a square with no bottom and has a tarp underneath instead, but Grace likes it. She plays out there all by herself with a spoon and a rake and a little bucket.

Also, I have video of her climbing up on the chair, she finally got the hang of it, and she can get off by herself if she thinks about it.





Everything is still the same in our lives. I am going to start canning apricots next week with my mom and sister. We were at the cannery the other day and they had canned some apricots and one of the nice old men (who served a mission in Brazil when it was 1 mission!) brought us some to try. It made us all want to can some ourselves! And homemade freezer jam, it can't get any better than that. I'll have to take some pictures so you all can see our big mess!

Grant is still working at UPS, although his back has been bothering him so he is thinking of quiting. So, if you know of any good jobs let us know, oh, they have to be around here, we aren't moving clear across the country or anything :)

Last thing. Grant and I have been fans of the 2 Chronicles of Narnia movies and I decided that I had better read all the books because I really liked the movies. Well, I did and I will just recommend that EVERYONE read them! They are the best non-church yet church book you will ever read! Some of the middle ones aren't as good as the first 3 and the last 2 but it is still interesting if nothing else. They are written for children so they go really fast, you could probably finish one in less than 3 hours. They are written by C.S. Lewis and the prophets and apostles quote him so there is an even better reason to read them! So, turn off your TVs and read!

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Sandbox? How fun! Also, Grace totally celebrated when she got up on the chair, huh? She danced a little on her knees and then of course the clapping and happy smile. Cute girl!

Marilou said...

that is a fun sandbox. We love Chronicles of Narnia too.

Angie said...

That sandbox looks so fun. Good job, Grant! You guys are so creative. What a cutie, too.

Joy said...

I've been thinking about getting a sandbox for my kids, but I'm afraid the sand would end up everywhere but in the box. Good job to your hubbie :) I read the first 3 Chronicles of Narnia books about 3 years ago, but I've never finished. I'll have to start up again...they really are great!

Tracie said...

That is such a great idea to put a sandbox on the balcony!! What a smart man you married!

Sheena said...

Hey Christine,
Happy Birthday tomorrow! I hope you have a good one. The Chronicles of Narnia books are awesome. Isn't it amazing how much better the books are than movies? Good luck with the canning!
Take care,
Sheena

The Carlings said...

what a great idea about the sandbox. I bet you cannot even get grace out of it! Cute ideas that you have for her. monica