"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

— Marjorie Pay Hinckley


"None of us come to this earth to gain our worth; we brought it with us."

--Sheri L. Dew

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dressers and Yogurt

I had to show off my husbands handi-work. We bought this dresser used and Grant turned it from a yucky dark brown stained dresser whose drawers didn't slide very well into a dresser/changing table with drawers my kids can actually open and close! I know, you want to marry him! To impress you even more I have to add that this man's only real wood working tools are a drill, circular saw and a sander! (and screwdrivers, hammer etc.)
I tried my hand at yogurt making yesterday and succeeded! I was a little afraid to try doing it all by myself because I am such a hands on learner. With most baking and cooking I can figure it out on my own but with other areas I am less familiar with I like to do it with a friend. Anyway, it is so easy a 12 year old can do it! Here is the recipe. Browse away on her website, she has some neat things. Making your own seasonings from bulk spices and the bagels I made and some other food storage gems!
I added 1/3c sugar and 2TB vanilla to the warm milk before letting it cool to make vanilla yogurt as my tummy doesn't handle the tartness of plain yogurt now that it is only 1/4 the size it used to be :) It isn't vanilla yogurt like you buy at the store though, be warned, you would need to add more than 1/3c sugar to get that I think. You can also spoon fruit or jam into the bottom of the jar and have fruit yogurt. You can make a smaller batch if you want to experiment, it is good though and did you know that plain yogurt can be substituted for sour cream in baking? Enjoy!

1 comment:

Scott and Stacia said...

Congrats on the pregnancy!! You are 1-2 weeks ahead of me...how fun! Enjoy the last little bit :) Can't wait to hear what you guys have :)